Effects of Trawling Subprogram: bycatch weight, composition and preliminary estimates of the impact of bycatch reduction devices in Queensland's trawl fishery
Department of Agriculture and Fisheries (QLD)
Principal Investigator: A. J. Courtney, J. A. Haddy, M. J. Campbell, D. P. Roy, M. L. Tonks, S. W. Gaddes, K. E. Chilcott, M. F. O`Neill, I. W. Brown, M. McLennan, J. E. Jebreen, C. van der Geest, C. Rose, S. Kistle, C. T. Turnbull, P. M. Kyne, M. B. Bennett and J. Taylor
1. Describe the bycatch species composition and catch rates under standard trawl net (pre TED and pre BRD) conditions in Queensland's major trawl sectors (eastern king prawn, scallop and tiger/endeavour prawn sectors).
2. Describe the bycatch species composition and catch rates when nets have TEDs and BRDs installed (post TED and post BRD) in Queensland's major trawl sectors.
3. Test and quantify the impact of different combinations of TEDs and BRDs on bycatch and target species against standard nets under controlled experimental conditions using chartered commercial trawlers in the eastern king prawn, scallop and tiger/endeavour prawn sectors.
4. Review the known biology and distribution of all recently approved "permitted fish" species associated with the trawl fishery.
5. Quantify key population parameter estimates, including growth rates, size at maturity, distribution and landings, for all recently approved "permitted fish" species.
6. Apply power analysis to determine how many trawl samples are needed to detect various levels of change in individual bycatch species catch rates.
7. Provide advice on the guidelines and definitions of BRDs and TEDs so that the Boating and Fisheries Patrol can confidently enforce the regulations.