Evaluation of selectivity in the south-east fishery to determine its sustainable aggregate yield
CSIRO Oceans and Atmosphere Hobart
Principal Investigator: Nicholas J. Bax & Ian A. Knuckey
1. Determine size(age) at capture for the main commercial species in the SEF that would maximise their biologic and economic yield, especially for the quota species.
2. Determine selectivity of the major fisheries in the SEF, taking account of the mix of gear types and the areas fished.
3. Evaluate success of alternative gear mixes (type and configuration) in maximising overall biologic and economic yield for selected fisheries.
4. Identify fisheries that contain mixes of gear types and species that lead to a grossly undesirable selectivity of some species, and that could profit from the development of specialised selective techniques
5. Help to coordinate and present results at SEFAG workshop to assess the potential of adapting selectivity of the SEF to promote sustainabilty and economic returns.