BCA: diagnosis and identification of Aeromonas salmonicida and detection of latent infections in carrier fish
CSIRO Australian Animal Health Laboratory
1. Undertake molecular characterisation of a range of exotic and endemic A.salmonicida subspecies including correlation with biochemical, serological and pathogenic features.
2. Identify genus -, species - and subspecies-specific properties such as nucleotide sequences with potential for diagnostic use.
3. Develop diagnostic procedures using molecular technology.
4. Validation of molecular diagnostic procedures using experimental infections carried out in the microbiologically secure aquarium facility at AAHL.
5. Preliminary survey of wild and farmed papulations of fish and shellfish in S.E. Australia in collaboration with NSW, South Australia, Tasmania and Victoria