Effects of Trawling Subprogram: ecological sustainability of bycatch and biodiversity in prawn trawl fisheries
CSIRO Oceans and Atmosphere
Principal Investigator: Ilona Stobutzki, Steve Blaber, David Brewer, Gary Fry, Don Heales, Peter Jones, Margaret Miller, David Milton, John Salini, Tonya Van der Velde, You-Gan Wang, Ted Wassenberg, Mike Dredge, Tony Courtney, Keith Chilcott & Stephen Eayrs
1. To undertake a literature review of prawn trawl bycatch, and methods of estimating and monitoring bycatch of prawn trawl fisheries from published information to add to the already substantial literature database on bycatch reduction devices.
2. To develop cost-effective, accurate and feasible methods of describing and monitoring prawn trawl bycatch that would be acceptable to all stakeholders.
3. To compile a detailed description of the bycatch in the NPF and Torres Straits tiger and banana prawn fisheries and Queensland East Coast banana prawn fisheries to provide a reference against which future assessment can be made.
4. To measure the impact of prawn trawling on the sustainability of important vertebrate bycatch species, particularly those that may be vulnerable or endangered, and for those bycatch species for which no significant reductions can be achieved.
5. To assess the effects of prawn trawling on the biodiversity of key fish and other vertebrate communities.